Senior Scientist in Molecular Diagnostics for Colorectal Cancer
Job Opportunity: Senior Scientist in Molecular Diagnostics for Colorectal Cancer
|Type||Full Time, Permanent|
Applications are invited for a Senior Scientist in molecular diagnostics at Origin Sciences in Cambridge. Origin Sciences is a medical technology company that develops innovative devices and IVD tests to aid in the detection and diagnosis of gastrointestinal diseases. Our current specific focus is on the diagnosis of colorectal cancer (CRC).
We are now seeking a motivated Senior/Research scientist with experience of molecular diagnostics, biomarkers validation assays, PCR-based assays and NGS technologies and/or epigenetic of cancer to work on this exciting project. Applicants must be educated to MSc level (or equivalent experience) and have expertise in NGS technologise with strong experience in basic molecular biology techniques. The successful applicant will work as a part of a broader team.
The successful candidate will work within the Development Team to deliver a molecular diagnostics assay and associated NGS technologies. It is an opportunity for candidates with a strong background in molecular biology/diagnostics and assay development expertise to take a key role on projects leading to the development and commercial launch of novel diagnostic platforms.
The successful candidate will initially be engaged in commercial assay development however the role offers significant scope for career progression via a rapidly expanding commercial team.
Duties may include
- Liaise with the clinical trial teams to receive and biobank clinical samples.
- Perform DNA, RNA extraction and store biobank clinical samples.
- Lead the development and testing of new detection technology including PCR based, digital PCR and NGS technologies.
- Undertake sample stability, performance analysis and validation of assays.
- Design, develop and test new diagnostic assays (PCR based, epigenetic and target sequencing methods using NGS technologies).
- Work towards the goals of collaborative projects with external partners and be point of contact for some.
- Be accountable for the time, cost and quality of agreed deliverables.
- Provide updates on the progress, risks and opportunities of the agreed deliverables.
- Working in a regulated environment, e.g. Good Clinical Practice or other GxP
- Understanding of related areas of diagnostic validation and clinical trials.
- Experience of a similar role as demonstrated by publication record, patents and delivery of biomarker data to projects.
The appointee must have excellent organisational, written and communication skills. They must have the ability to apply extensive working knowledge to address complex problems and challenges and have a comprehensive understanding and working knowledge of governance and legislation for the conduct of research.
The post is full time and Cambridge based. Benefits include 30 days annual leave, pension scheme and company option scheme. Competitive salary according to experience.
Candidates must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the UK in accordance with the immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.
- BSc/MSc in Genetics, Epigenetic, Cancer Biology, Molecular Biology or Biochemistry (or equivalent experience). (Essential)
- PhD. (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 5 years commercial / industrial scientific experience. (Essential)
- Expertise in biomarkers assays and / or molecular biology techniques. (Essential)
- Excellent understanding of molecular biology and cancer biology. (Essential)
- Proven ability to write papers and scientific reports.
- Good organisational skills. (Essential)
- Experience with next-generation sequencing library preparation. (Desirable)
- Expertise in epigenetics assays development. (Desirable)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills. (Essential)
- Expertise in diagnostics assay characterisation. (Essential)
- Experience in analytical validation of diagnostic assays. (Essential)
- Experience in diagnostic assay performance assessment. (Essential)
- Familiar with ISO 15189 / ISO 13485 regulated environments. (Essential)
- Experience with assay workflow automation. (Essential)
- Experience in discovery biology and/or leading a research project. (Essential)
Attitude and Disposition
- Flexible and co-operative. (Essential)
- Self-motivated and hardworking. (Essential)
- Willingness to learn new skills. (Essential)
- Ability to cope under pressure. (Essential)
- Able to work independently. (Essential)