Job Opportunity: Bioinformatician
|Type||Full Time, Permanent|
Origin Sciences is a medical technology company that develops innovative devices and tests toa id the detection and diagnosis of gastrointestinal diseases. Our current primary focus is on the diagnosis of colorectal cancer (CRC).
We are looking to add a Bioinformatician to a high-performing group focusing on bioinformatics, data science, statistics and epidemiology to support research and development portfolio.
To undertake an active role in the analysis and modelling of both publicly available (e.g. online or UK Biobank) and local NGS datasets. Key techniques are likely to include development of bioinformatics pipelines, building multivariate risk scores, and assessing potential causal relationships. The post-holder will be expected to carry out analysis of study results in collaboration with a biostatistician and design the core algorithm of our diagnostic test product.
Working with a highly skilled interdisciplinary team at the interface of molecular biology, bioinformatics & software you will create and establish robust data processing pipelines and other tools and methods to enable the analysis of DNA sequence and methylation data for R&D projects, clinical studies and, ultimately, clinical-grade assays.
You will play a pivotal role in the interpretation of sequencing data and make a significant contribution to our understanding of technology/product performance and clinical utility. You will also collaborate highly effectively with the broader R&D team, senior staff and collaborators on experimental design and clinical studies as well as project requirements, planning, execution and reporting.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
The principal duty of the post will be to undertake research and provide bioinformatics support towards the analysis in high-throughput NGS data to support Origin activities in a timely and resource efficient manner, as appropriate for the research area. This includes:
- A PhD in Bioinformatics, statistical genetics or related field.
- Previous demonstrable experience of analysing next-generation sequencing data and methylome data.
- Experience in scientific programming, in particular python and/or R.
- Demonstrable ability in method development in the high throughput sequencing analysis space.
- Demonstrable experience in conducting high-quality independent research with proven ability to write-up scientific findings in peer-reviewed journals.
- Strong team-working skills with previous experience of completing collaborative projects on time and within budget.
- Previous post-doctoral or industry experience in applied DNA sequence analysis or directly comparable field including analysis of DNA methylation by sequencing.
- Previous experience developing diagnostics products in the genomics industry.
- Experience of DNA sequence analysis specifically in cancer.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) with the ability to communicate complex ideas and information to a range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrable high levels of self-motivation, ambition, transparency and integrity.
- Enjoy working towards challenging goals in a fast-moving environment where on-time delivery of results is a high priority.
- PhD in Bioinformatics/ Genetics/ Mathematics/ Statistics/Engineering/ computer Science or a relevant discipline. (Essential)
Experience / Knowledge
- Sound knowledge of statistical methods and models. (Essential)
- Experience in methylome analysis and bioinformatic pipelines related to the analysis. (Essential)
- Experience with biological databases, Inline databases. (Essential)
- Experience with next-generation sequencing datasets. (Essential)
- Track record in bioinformatics and the ability to write papers and scientific reports. (Essential)
- Hands-on experience with genome alignment, mapping, variant calling, and annotation tools . (Essential)
- Excellent understanding of molecular biology and cell biology. (Essential)
- Familiarity with UNIX-based operating systems and shell scripting. (Desirable)
Skills / Abilities
- Proficient in the analysis of high-throughput datasets including whole genome, RNA seq, miRNA, Methylome (RRBS, Illumina 850 K). (Essential)
- Proficient in Perl and R programming. (Essential)
- Proficiency in python, ruby or another high-level scripting language (Python highly preferred). (Essential)
- Proficient in SQL querying and a database platform (preferably MySQL). (Desirable)
- Good organisational skills. (Essential)
- Excellent data analysis and visualisation skills (Tableau, R, matplotlib, or similar). (Essential)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills. (Essential)
- Flexible and co-operative. (Essential)
- Self-motivated and hardworking. (Essential)
- Willingness to learn new skills. (Essential)
- Ability to cope under pressure. (Essential)
- Able to work independently. (Essential)
- Able to demonstrate right to work in UK. (Essential)